Instead of jumping to the conclusion that everyone hates me, here are some more realistic and positive explanations.
When someone hasn’t texted me back:
- They saw it when they were in the middle of something and forgot to respond.
- They saw it when they were busy and want to take the time to write a thoughtful response.
- The message didn’t deliver because either I or they lost cell service or wifi.
- They forgot about it.
- They are waiting to confirm something else first before replying.
- They forgot about it, remembered, and now feel so guilty for not replying sooner that they’re anxious about the whole thing and aren’t replying at all.
- They’re going through a really busy time and have a lot on their plate.
- They’re going through a really stressful time and have a lot on their mind.
- They’re not checking their phone.
- They’re on a camping trip in a place without cell service.
- They got a new phone.
- They’re out of the country and not receiving texts.
When someone didn’t smile back at me:
- They’re caught up in their own thoughts.
- They’re worried about what they’re going to say next.
- They didn’t see me.
- They thought I was looking at someone else.
- They’re tired.
The vast majority of the time, people don’t hate me. There are many good reasons why someone would not reply to a text or smile back at me that have nothing to do with what they think of me.
Do you have any to add? Or any other situations where you might jump to a conclusion and there’s a more reasonable explanation?